Prevent Spam with reCAPTCHA on Gravity Forms
How to Stop Spam on Your WordPress Website
Nobody likes to be on the receiving end when it comes to spam. Our email spam filters catch a lot of the crud to keep our inboxes clean and clear of the phishing attempts, unwelcomed offers, and repetitive robo-call style messages. But what protects our web forms from being clogged with irrelevant and erroneous submissions that have nothing to do with our business?
There are options out there to help stop the stream of spam that is infiltrating your website’s entries, and they are relatively simple to implement. No web developer necessary! You only need a few pieces of information and a couple of minutes to safeguard your forms:
- API Keys
- Your Website URL
- This Tutorial Video!
If you’re using our favorite WordPress form builder, Gravity Forms, this quick tip will save you the stress of combing through spam to find genuine communications from your customers!
Does My Website Need Forms?
It may seem easier to avoid spam by simply not having contact forms for your website, but forms are a crucial piece to your marketing. As a best practice, we insist that every website should have forms throughout your website to connect with customers and capture data. Here are a few ways you can incorporate forms into your site:
- Contact Forms – Your visitors may have questions about the products or services on your website. Make it easy for them to reach you! Include a simple form on your contact page that invites people to write out the question, comment, or concern they have. That way, you can connect with them and already have an answer to their inquiry prepared.
- Newsletter Sign Ups – Email marketing typically has a high ROI, so it’s a common and critical piece to your marketing. Expand your mailing list with a call to action encouraging people to sign up for your newsletter via a quick form in your footer or a popup. Include an introductory coupon code or other offer to incentive people to sign up!
- Giveaway Entries – Giveaways are a great way to get people excited about your brand. Forms make it easy for people interested in participating. All they have to do it submit their info and their entered to win!
- Requesting Consultations & Appointments – Forms can streamline your next steps with a customer, too. Allow visitors to submit an appointment or service request directly from your website with a form that asks for more information about their needs, what time or day suits them best, and how to contact them to finalize the arrangements.
Don’t let the threat of spam dissuade you from including forms on your website! These capture opportunities are invaluable to the process of retargeting and remarketing to keep customers coming back to your site and shop. Preventing spam with reCAPTCHA isn’t an infallible solution to spam, but the value you’ll get out of using forms will vastly outweigh the few spam submissions that land in your inbox.
Keep your forms simple! The more fields you require, the less likely a website visitor is to complete and submit the form. Try to match the complexity of the form to the value it gives to the customer. Ask for the person’s name and email address, and only the other relevant information you need to follow up with them. Additional fields are fine, too, but don’t require them unless you have to. This gives people the option to share only as much as they feel comfortable sharing.
Start Capturing & Communicating with Gravity Forms!
While there are plenty of form builder plugins for WordPress, Gravity Forms is definitely our favorite. It’s a popular choice on many of the top WordPress website, too, and we can see why:
- Easily customize forms with a drag-and-drop style editor
- Generate leads, take payments, create polls, and more
- Integrate your other apps and platforms for seamless communication
- View form entries directly from your WordPress dashboard
Gravity Forms is as confident as we are that you’ll absolutely love what they’re offering. And with a 30-Day Risk Free Guarantee, you have a whole month to see for yourself! What are you waiting for?