In our nearly fifteen years of working with clients who want to boost their business by making improvements to their digital marketing strategy and online presence, we’ve noticed one particular repeat question from clients with online-only businesses:
Do I have to show my address on Google to get found even if my business is online only?
The short answer to this question is yes, you do have to list an address on Google, even if your business is online-only — and here’s why:
1. Some of The Most Effective Digital Marketing Tools Require That You List An Address For Your Online-Only Business
Did you know that if you plan on using email marketing to reach and convert customers, you’re legally required to list a physical address in the footer of every email you send? Google My Business or not – if you plan on executing a successful digital marketing strategy, you’re going to have to settle on a physical address to associate with your online-only company. Why? Because some of the most effective digital marketing tools require it.
2. It Legitimizes Your Business
Consider this: sharing a business address helps increase rapport with your customers by legitimizing your business.
Being that you don’t have the element of physical presence to use to your advantage, it’s crucial that your business demonstrates consistency whenever and wherever the opportunity presents itself. Why? Because consistency is key to building trust. Customers are going to feel better about doing business with an online-only company if they see the company’s details are the same across different digital marketing platforms. This immediately turns your Google My Business listing into an opportunity to build trust. Though your business address may never be of use to buyers, merely featuring it on Google adds a component of reality to your digital presence and gives your customers peace of mind from a psychological perspective.
3. Including an Address with Your Google My Business Listing Can Help With Local Search
Still not sold on listing an address for your online-only business? You may change your mind when you realize that listing a business address helps amplify how often your customers see your business in local search results.
According to Google, “Providing and updating business information in Google My Business can help your business’s local ranking on Google and enhance your presence in Search and Maps.”
Dos and Don’ts for Adding Your Business Address
Here are some dos and don’ts to follow when deciding on and adding a business address for your online-only business:
- DON’T think that the address you list needs to be tied to a physical storefront. It does not.
- DON’T use your home address for your Google My Business listing if you’re not comfortable doing so — even if you run your business from home.
- DO list the address to your dedicated office space or coworking space as your business address.
- DO rent a P.O. box if you need to establish a business address —it will do just fine for your Google My Business listing.
Wonder Where You’re Missing Information That Could Be Costing You Conversions?
TTG finds places to improve. Find out how our comprehensive Marketing Analysis program can increase your sales, get you more customer attention and boost your ROI for every marketing dollar spent.